By practical Christianity Foundation
Worship is a deeply personal expression of one's total surrender, submission, and commitment to God through which every aspect of one's person is engaged in ascribing supreme worth to God. Here are some helpful thoughts which will make our worship a true and God-pleasing expression of life:
- Worship is wholesome and inclusive: Worship is an inclusive and totally wholesome activity. It engages the intellect, emotions, sentiments, and the whole being of the believer. Worship consumes the individual and the Body of Christ in the expression of faith, obedience, love, praise, petition, etc. in the acknowledgment of God as the exclusive sovereign Lord over everything and everyone.
- Recognize that God is our only object of worship: God is not just our Creator and Redeemer. He is also our God! He is Holy, Righteous, Just, and Sovereign. He is absolute in all of His attributes. We should be consciously aware at all times that our worship is our expression of ascribing supreme worth to God Who is like no other and exclusive in Who He is!
- Acknowledge who we are: We are always sinful individuals saved by Grace. As we worship God our Father, Redeemer, and ultimately sovereign over us, we are not just expressing gratitude, but we are engaging our entire self in the acknowledgment and affirmation of Who God is.
- Worship is a life of responsive obedience: As Jesus Christ told us in John chapters 14-16, the Holy Spirit takes up residence in the hearts of God's redeemed children to lead each one into all truths that God reveals in the Scriptures regarding Himself, the world He created, the world which rebelled against Him, and His redeemed children. Worship is, therefore, our life of obedience as we respond to the work of the Holy Spirit in us.
- Worship is dynamic: Worship is not a static activity which we perform as a scheduled event at given intervals. Worship is a dynamic way of life which is a continuous expression of uninterrupted interaction between God and His redeemed children. It is a way of life which should go on in one's individual life as well as the corporate life of the Body of Christ, the Church.
- Worship is serious and enduring: Worship is never a form of Christian entertainment or recreation. It is not a feel-good exercise. Worship should never be taken lightly or casually because it is a serious form of expression of God's redeemed children in which each one ascribes supreme worth to God. It is enduring and lasts for eternity.
- Worship is a way of looking to God for everything: As we worship God, we offer our praises and petitions to Himn knowing that He already has received our praises and answered our prayers. We worship Him earnestly and without interruption in spirit and truth as we are inspired and directed by the Holy Spirit. Worship is our expression of faith and satisfaction in our Father regardless of our immediate earthly circumstances, not in denial but as trusting children who know that our Father's providence is all-sufficient. Worship is the coming together of the Body of Christ to acknowledge His Lordship and glorify Him above everything and everyone.
- Worship unites: Worship should never be a divisive exercise creating discord within the Body of Christ regarding form and content. Worship is an expression of faith and obedience which defines the Body of Christ as one. Worship is an eternal manner of acknowledging God's sovereignty in all of its absolute manifestations.
therefore, all of god's children should stop thinking of worship as church attendance and participating in activities and begin to consciously recognize that worship is a way of life through which the believer continuously communes with god. We invite you to contact Practical Christianity Foundation regarding worship as we seek to live a life that is pleasing to God in our family life, social life, work, Bible studies, church participation, and our life in general.